Friday 7 August 2015

Getting smaller and smaller!


So it seems that papercutting artwork is getting smaller and smaller these days!

I had a request for a commission last year for my small heart design on a map of Ireland that my customer had sourced herself. It was a lovely map, in black and white... however I did not expect to be so tiny!
But nothing is impossible with today's technology! Using my computer to reduce the size of my template to fit the area required I set about cutting this tiny heart.

The result was so cute I decided to create some more with some colourful maps, and set them floating in a box frame.
A great success, they flew off the wall of my stand at the Brighton Art Fair last September.
They make a great wedding gift too, I had a few commissions requests of particular towns and cities to be featured within the tiny hearts.

This is a lovely one featuring Ilkley cut from a 1954, 3 miles to 1 inch Road Atlas of Great Britain.

Here are some more with maps chosen for their location and colours.

This is a very bright  Physical map of North America from a 1969 Collins Pocket Atlas.  Such lovely colours.   Not much writing on this one although you can see Queen Charlotte, Churchill, Fin.  The chances of this going to a couple called Finn and Charlotte Churchill ... 

 Brighton, East Sussex

 London and its surroundings as far as Chelmsford and Croydon.

 London from a street map, featuring Brixton. I like the black and white and red lines from this map, so I decided to try it for a different look.

This is Hong Kong - Victoria.  I liked the freshness of the blue colour.





No comments:

Post a Comment